CDS 4.2.0 – is there an alternative?

Home Forums Technical Support / Bugs Copernic Desktop Search Desktop Search 4 CDS 4.2.0 – is there an alternative?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DebSki 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

DebSki
    Participant

Hi
    I, like many other people who have posted here, have been using CDS for many years. The latest version is rubbish. It rarely opens with Windows (but in tools/options, that is checked).

It constantly crashes, with message that it can’t find index files. I have reported this to tech support twice now & whereas in the past they have got back to me relatively quickly, it has now been quite some time, possibly as long as a fortnight.

I note from a previous post titled “What has happened to CDS?” that “We’re sorry you’ve been experiencing a bad support on your end with the latest issues. Our development team continues to work and fix many bugs and improve features. There is an average of 1 new release each month and we do care about every support ticket submitted. Unfortunately, right now we’ve receiving a higher amount of request than what we can proceed in a legitimate amount of time. In some cases with specific errors, response time can take a few extra days to take care.

We’re sorry about this situation and we’re trying to resolve this as soon as possible.” 18/2/14

1 release a month? According to the Copernic home page, version 4.1.2 is now available, with a date of June 2014. Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t we now half way through October? AND isn’t 4.2.0 available?? It must be as that’s what I’ve got (sadly)

I’m wondering if anyone has come across a similar (but better, obviously) product. I rely heavily on CDS & it has, mostly, been good, but in the last year or so, I have emails & files that are not indexed. It crashes regularly & is desperately slow. All suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance (& I hope tech support look at the forums as they don’t seem to answer support tickets)

Tundra
    Participant

I went back to 3.7.0 Build 8. It works without any crashes, for me. The indexing is solid, but the 3.x interface (as well as the 4.x one) needs to mature further, as many posters have suggested on this forum. 3.7.0 gets the job done, but the interface (both versions) makes some common tasks awkward.

I keep hoping for the big improvement in the “next release” of 4.x. I test each one on a spare machine, and am still hoping, but like you am getting impatient. I need something better than 3.7, and am reminded of that need daily because I use CDS very frequently.

singularity

It constantly crashes, with message that it can’t find index files. I have reported this to tech support twice now & whereas in the past they have got back to me relatively quickly, it has now been quite some time, possibly as long as a fortnight.

I face the same issue. Crashes and shows crash report with empty window. Also notification that It cannot read index files.

DebSki
    Participant

I did a complete uninstall, including preferences. Rebooted PC & then did re-install of last version. I have subsequently updated to 4.2.0. Seems to be working OK & indexing/results are better than they have been for ages

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.