index text-files without file-extension

Home Forums Technical Support / Bugs Copernic Desktop Search Desktop Search 4 index text-files without file-extension

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  dbgodfrey 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

wasinix
    Participant

I need to index text-files without an file-extension.
    e.g. a file called “file_without_dot_and_extension” which is containing only text.
    How can I manage to achieve this?

WindsurferLA
    Participant

My problem is that CDS4 no longer seems to be indexing Thunderbird e-mail files. My Thunderbird e-mail messages are stored in files  in the \\\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\random.Prof\Mail\incoming.verizon-1.net in a file called “Inbox. ”  Can I assume that CDS4 somehow gets inside that file and indexes the content even though it has no file extension?

OldClicker
    Participant

I have found that CDS 4 is confusing when it comes to indexing Thunderbird… sometimes it gets a day or so out of date but then catches up.
    My 20,000-odd thunderbird emails are held in IMAP but synced locally.
    I suspect the issue stems back to the fixed update strategy that I think CDS 4 adopts – “we’ll do it at midnight regardless of what is best for the user”. As not all of us are logged in at midnight(!) it does some sort of catch-up when you power on the next morning.
    I *think* it manages to index open Thunderbird files – but am not totally conviced, there’s no detailed info about VSS being used etc.
    Some way of specifying the index update schedule would be reassuring…

Copernic Support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for your messages. Please stick to the subject and make sure not to post answers that aren’t related to the thread title.

To wasinix: Are you really sure that these files do not have any file extension? Maybe they’re simply hidden by windows but all files must have a filetype. CDS will not index files that do not have any file extension.

To WindsurferLA: Copernic should continue indexing the emails since the location and configuration comes from the thunderbird profile management and not from CDS itself. If you would manually add this folder in files tab, CDS would not index it since Application Data is an hidden folder in windows.

To OldClicker: You can be reassured, the scheduled indexing personalization should come back in an upcoming release. Right now, it is updating index by default automatically at midnight but users can manually trigger an update of their emails with menu tools -> Update index -> Emails.

WindsurferLA
    Participant

I now believe my Thunderbird indexing problem is not related to the fact that Thunderbird mail files do not appear to have a suffix.  My current theory is that the copy of the Copernic application on my computer does not retain my “professional” registration and only provides indexing within the boundaries established for the free version. Copernic free does not provide e-mail indexing.  I’ve come to this conclusion because program keeps asking me to purchase and  register my software using the serial number / registration key.

Copernic Support
    Keymaster

Please submit a support ticket in order to have a closer look into this since this isn’t a common behavior.

In fact, the free (lite) version ALLOW email indexing for thunderbird, eudora, windows live mail and Outlook express. Only Microsoft outlook is greyed out in the lite version and require the complete version to index.

This new build (1085) released yesterday also fixes some issues with Thunderbird and Outlook indexing (such as attachments getting lost) so you may want to follow the next procedure to recover from those issues since a normal update of index cannot solve the problem:
    1. Make sure you have latest build installed (menu help -> About Copernic Desktop Search -> Build 1085 or higher). If you do not have it, simply select help -> Check for software update, or download the installer here: http://go.copernic.com/?dest=cds4installer then install it over your current version.
    2. Open menu tools -> Options -> Emails tab
    3. Uncheck Microsoft Outlook and/or Thunderbird
    4. Click on “back to main view to save change
    5. Go back in tools -> Options -> Emails tab
    6. Check the appropriate folders from Outlook/Thunderbird you want to index
    7. Click on “back to main view” again to save change.

It will start reindexing your emails. We know this can take a while to reindex the emails but it should solve the issue. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

WindsurferLA
    Participant

This morning, 24Oct2013,  I received notice of new update to build 1085 . It seems to have cured my e-mail search problems and my activation problems.

Copernic Support
    Keymaster

Glad to hear this, Thanks for the update. We’ve worked on many stability issues with Outlook and thunderbird in this latest build.

hakatu
    Participant

As wasinix stated, files without extension are currently not beeing indexed.
    Copernic Support key master, you stated “CDS will not index files that do not have any file extension”. This is a pitty and CD2 DID index files without extension, if you did ad “.” (without quotes) as an extension to the advanced option “File types to index”, but in CD3 and CD4, this is not possible anymore, because the OK-Button is gryed out it you try to add “.” (without quotes) tto the file types list.

Copernic Support
    Keymaster

@hakatu : This suggestion was already submitted to our product management team and may be added in a future release. At first, it was decided to remove this option to reduce risk of indexing unneeded files or system files that may cause crashes. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

wasinix
    Participant

Sorry for not answering in time. I missed the question.

Yes I am sure that this are files without extension. Its a local SVN checkout directory with scripts, configs and coedfiles that have no extension and I really would like to have them also in my searchindex.

I’m still using 3.7.0 and happy with it. If there is a new version supporting files without extension this would be a reason for an update.

somervil

I also have a need to index files with no extension. These were letters typed many years ago on a DOS based version of Word Perfect that I still need to be able to search. There is an old but very good file indexing program called Wilbur (downloadable for free from Redtree.com) that will do it if the files are old (at least before Word 2007). But it would be nice if Copernic did it too and I could retire dear old Wilbur.

dbgodfrey

Somervil, since you’re not generating any new files with no file extension, why don’t you simply add a file extension to the ones you’ve got? I think the Wordperfect file extension from DOS days was WPD.
    A tool like BulkRenameUtility (it’s free) can do this in a blink of an eye. Then, simply add WPD to the list of extensions to index.
    Good Luck,
    DG

somervil

DBGodfrey, Thanks! I’ll give it a go. It’s actually slightly more complicated though because back in the old days, we used file extensions as a way of flagging the file and for a while, used the 1st 2 digits of the date it was typed as the file extension (it was very useful at the time!). So there may be files with the same filename but various weird extensions and some with no extension, all in the same folder. Anyway, I’ll play with it and see what happens.

dbgodfrey

Somervil, I hear ya, we all did all sorts of oddities back in the 8.3 days. BulkRenameUtility is amazingly adaptable to that sort of thing. You can make file masks etc. I’m sure you’ll figure it out. bulkrenameutility.co.uk
    Disclaimer: I do not work for, or have any affiliation with the above named software. I just think that it’s damned good stuff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.