Version 4.2

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tundra 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

joll

‘Just installed the CDS 4 update. What a mistake that was…. again.’ Thus a previous poster. The same applies to the latest version – version 4.2 – although, admittedly, this version is an ‘early release’ version.

The problem this time is that the main Copernic window will not maximise properly (on my Windows 8.1, with ‘medium’ DPI setting). Pretty basic stuff, one imagines. I’ve reported this to Copernic and am told that a fix is being worked on.

singularity

The UI interface needs an overhaul new design. They should drop this hard coded ui which looks blurrd on high resolution screen and embrace native windows based UI..

Tundra
    Participant

“… and embrace native windows based UI”

If so, PLEASE NOT the windows “ribbon” interface. That was a step backwards by MicroSoft, and a huge waste of screen space (especially on wide-format laptop screens).

Quite some time ago I mocked-up (in photo-shop) an interface and sent it to Copernic tech support, and hope it might be implemented. It moves to the top of the screen the elements in the left panel and some vital setting (e.g. “find whole words,” “search as you type”) from the settings menu to where they can always be seen and easily changed. This would allow the results list to be the full width of the screen, so filenames and paths can be better displayed.

singularity

I was talking about interfaces like those of Evernote or Fileseek Pro

Tundra
    Participant

I see what you are thinking, with Fileseek Pro, but there is still a lot of wasted screen space that takes away from what is available for the results list.

What do you think of this mock-up for CDS (it is a jpg file you can download)?:

The file will be there for only 7 days, so perhaps someone can find a more permanent place to put it, and provide a link. (I wish there were a way to post images on this forum.)

Tundra
    Participant

singularity

I would not approve of the hardcoded design of the copernic windows. The current close/minimise/ buttons doesnt go well with Windows 8. I was not saying to copy Fileseek pro Ui , but they way it looks well with any version of windows , using native windows style, whether in XP or 7 or 8. It doesnt look outdated, but copernic does.

Actually the UI copernic uses actually make it heavy for a productivity tool It is not about eye candy but functionality. And the eye candy they treid to bring about is not exactly eye candy either.. it just look out of place in Windows 8+

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  singularity.

Tundra
    Participant

I think whether it is hard-coded or not is immaterial as long as it functions well, and of course a functional close/minimize buttons that is intuitive in context of the various Windows versions is part of that. I’m unsure of what you mean by “doesn’t go well with Win8″ (I use XP to look at each 4.x version; avoiding it on my Win7 main machine for now). The buttons look a bit different than for other Windows programs but are in the right place and do what they need to. So is this just about aesthetics on Win8?

I agree that eye candy just gets in the way with CDS. Is the mock-up I linked to above a good starting place for discussing what would work best for CDS functionality? It’s my best shot so far at what would work well for me.

Tundra
    Participant

BTW, I did the mock-up by photo-shopping a screenshot of CDS. So maybe it’s more “graphical” than you would like, but the functionality and space-saving shown could work just as well with a non-graphical appearance.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.